Monday, September 13, 2010

The perfect summer dress

Before I turn to some cooler-weather projects, I want to look back on some of my summer sewing projects. This blue dress was one of my favourites.


I made this dress using Simplicity 2591. It was generally easy to sew and has some clever construction elements -- the side panels become the back of the pockets, which I thought was kind of cool (though the instructions for this particular detail were a tad confusing).  Even though I cut my size, the bodice was also really big and had to be adjusted as I went along. Otherwise, it fit me really well with no major alterations.

I bought the royal blue stretch cotton with a gift certificate my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday. Since the fabric was a gift, I wanted to make something special, but casual and wearable. I first wore it for my brother-in-law's wedding rehearsal dinner back in May. I dressed it up with snazzy red heels and red buttons around the neckline.

But this dress came everywhere with me this summer. I wore it to barbeques, out shopping, on trips, on patios.

I took it on vacation for my first anniversary when we got bumped up to the nicest room in the hotel (complete with a bed so tall it had its own stairs, which I'm goofily climbing below).


It even came with me to Italy, where I wore it sipping cappuccinos in the piazza.

                         

It has everything you could want in a summer outfit: it's cute but not too formal, comfortable and cool, a striking colour but a simple silhouette.

It's just the perfect summer dress.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh so pretty, I just found you via flickr, Loving your blogging adventures so far! especially your blue dress & banana beignet :-)

    ReplyDelete